Did you know that certain items around your home can be incredible toxic for your pet if ingested? Some items seem obvious, while others may really surprise you. Be sure to share this blog post with friends and family so that they may also protect their pets at home. In the event of an emergency during our regular office hours, please call ahead if possible and proceed directly to our practice. We also partner with Gulf Coast Veterinary Specialists if you find yourself in an emergency situation after hours.

If you drop a pill, pick it up! Acetaminophen is found in Tylenol® and other medications and can cause liver damage in dogs. Cats are even more sensitive with even a single 325 mg tablet by a 10-pound cat can be fatal.

Love chocolate? Try not to share it with your beloved companion. Chocolate can cause seizures and death in both dogs and cats. Dark chocolate is more toxic than milk or white chocolate, but it’s best to keep all chocolate away.

Now, this is a weird one! Grapes, raisins, and currants in small amounts can cause kidney failure in dogs. Next time a grape hits the ground or a bowl of grapes is left within reach, be sure to move quickly to correct the situation.

Both cats and dogs are crafty and can find themselves in a cupboard full of house cleaning products in the blink of an eye. Depending on the amount ingested, gastrointestinal ulcers and other problems in dogs and cats can occur, with a possibility of death if enough is ingested.

Finally, xylitol – which is a sugar-free sweetener found in chewing gum, breath mints, and toothpaste. In both dogs and cats, serious issues can arise if ingested like a drop in blood sugar and liver failure.

As a rule of thumb, it’s important to keep all things that are not supposed to be ingested by your pet out of their reach. Keeping human foods and cleaning products is an excellent start to keeping them safe at home.